Bob Hastings Buick-GMC is hosting a blood drive this Saturday, June 30, 2012 from 9:00AM – 1:00PM. Stop down to our showroom on Saturday, and help save a life!
The Need Is Constant
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S. (2006).
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood
Blood Shortage This Year
The Red Cross received 50,000 fewer donations than expected this month, which leaves the organization with half the readily available blood products on hand than it had this time last year.
“Blood must be available at a moment’s notice when seconds count to help save or sustain a life,” said Donna M. Morrissey, communications director for American Red Cross Blood Services — Northeast Division. “We have reached an emergency situation and the blood will not be there without the immediate response of volunteer blood donors.”
All blood types are needed, but especially O positive, O negative, B negative and A negative in order to meet patient demand this summer. The Red Cross says an unseasonably early start to spring may be a contributing factor to this year’s decrease in donations as many regular donors are not taking time to give blood or platelets. In addition, this year’s mid-week Independence Day holiday has reduced the number of scheduled Red Cross blood drives.
More Reasons To Give
Obviously, there are many reasons to give blood. But, because we feel it is so important right now when blood supplies are low, we are offering some extra incentives to encourage participation. All presenting donors at the Bob Hastings Buick-GMC Blood Drive will be entered into a drawing to win a free vehicle doll-up, a $25 gas card or a cooler!
For more information about the Blood Drive at Bob Hastings Buick-GMC, visit our website at www.bobhastings.com/Blood_Drive